Monday, February 20, 2006

Eye Opener

So the other night, Seth and I were watching television for the first time in a looong time. We were actually trying to watch the Winter Olympics but the event was ice dancing. Now no offense to the avid ice dancing fan but, oh my goodness, why in the world do they get so much "air time"on our non-cable station?? To Seth's relief, I picked up the remote and changed it to PBS where there was a really interesting documentary about methanphetamines (I'm not sure that I'm spelling this right). Actually, it was more than interesting. Seth and I couldn't turn away. Now, here's a little background on Seth and me. We are officially church kids. We are the minority in this world that grew up with scarce knowledge of this world's vices. That can be a good thing and it can also very much be a bad thing. Anyway, back to the story... This documentary told the history of and the spreading of this horrific drug that has robbed thousands, possibly millions of people of normal existence. It's origins began on the West coast and has, over the decade, made its way to the East coast. The statistics of the ruin that this one drug has caused is staggering. One Republican representative from Indiana said that 80% of the prison population in his state were meth addicts. The frustrating point to this whole documentary piece is that this drug could have been stopped years ago because it is completely manufactured, meaning there is no organic component to it. In fact, the main ingredient to meth is ephedrine and psuedo-ephedrine which if you recognize is the main ingredient to most cold medicines on the shelf. When certain branches of the government tried to limit the manufacturing of this ingredient, the pharmaceutical companies' radars shot up and began lobbying for more freedom which they eventually were given. Because of this gross example of corporate greed, adults are dying and children are suffering.
Do you ever watch a program and know deep down that there is a reason that you are sitting there watching it? That is very much how I felt about it the other night. My heart broke for these people. It showed mug shot after mug shot of people who had been arrested for crimes while under the influence of meth. The looks on their faces were proof that the verse in the Bible where it says that the enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy is utterly true.
When Seth and I were sitting in bed that night, getting ready to pray, I just sat there speechless. I didn't know what to say...how do you pray for something that seems so big and so out of control? Usually, that is something that most of us hear and think "Oh, that's terrible and so very sad" but those faces just kept going through my mind and my heart. It isn't make-believe horror stories, it's real life. So as I sat there, I felt as if the Lord gave me a strategic picture on how to pray for this. In the program, they showed a map of the US and how each state was affected by this particular drug. The states that were affected most, were colored in black. Almost every state was colored this way. I began to pray that the Lord would send a revival that would sweep across the nation just as this drug swept across it. That instead of black, there would be flames of fire. So, through the unconventional means of television, the Lord has stirred my heart yet again to really cry out for REVIVAL in this land. So, would you add your voice as well and pray for this revival to come and come soon? We must be brought to the point of desperation....what exactly will that take?

4 comments:

Seth and Sarah said...

that's what i'm talkin about

Anonymous said...

I'm SO PUMPED when I read these words from The Father's heart that He is speaking through you! We will join with you in praying for those flames of fire to BURN away the dross and bring REVIVAL to the land! WHEW!!
I love you!

Seth and Sarah said...

not your average mother in law...

Seth and Sarah said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.