Wednesday, February 01, 2006

God Bless All You Single Mothers


Tonight I salute all single mothers. These past few weeks Seth has worked a gig that has been long hours and the last week he has had to stay at a hotel downtown to be closer to his job. Fortunately, he was able to come home for dinners most nights but he had to drive back to sleep in the hotel room. Our schedule these past few years has been unusual and unique, to say the least. Seth's career choice has not been of the 9a-5p persuasion. He works for himself as a freelance audio engineer so he is home for large chunks of the year but when he gets hired for a job, it usually means that we don't see much of him for weeks at a time. We have become used to it but every once in a while, it hits me. I don't think I would make a very good single mother. By 6pm, I am thoroughly exhausted but then have to go for the last push of dinners, bathtime, and bedtime. After that, I am just a puddle of goo. The other night, I had a momentary vision of what I and my kids would look like if I was a single mother. Let me tell you, it was not pretty. I saw Eli and Josiah running around looking like the Lost Boys of Neverland. And I had bags the size of Montana. I quickly pinched myself awake and thanked God above for my wonderful husband. For his hours of bathtime, his baby-food splattered face, for picking up on my SOS signals when I just can't take another second....
So I would like to take this little piece of web space to tell any single mother who runs across Sarah does Smile, that I honor and respect you. When you don't have an ounce of energy left, you manage to find a 1/2 an ounce in your left big toe and you make it through a whole day. May God bless you!!

No comments: