Friday, August 03, 2007

The land is rugged. As we drove up to the mountains yesterday, I thought of the pioneers who had travelled hundreds, maybe thousands of miles and then faced the Rockies. And they kept going! The giant rock formations with trees sparsely covering them, beckoning and taunting.
It is a landscape I am learning to appreciate more each minute I am here. I grew up camping in the Pacific Northwest, green and lush. I lived in Tennessee, just minutes from the Smoky Mountains. Also densely covered with giant green trees. But the Rockies. They are different. A harsh beauty. I can see our family spending lots of time in this area in the future.
Today we went on a 4 hour horseback trail ride. Our guide took us up a mountain and down a mountain, through meadows and fields. It was amazing! It gave us an opportunity to sit back and enjoy our surroundings. My horse, Elmer, was a trooper. Blazing through muddy trails, making his distaste for puddles of water very known by choosing other paths every time, even if it meant sending his rider through tree branches. Seth's horse, Cutter, was the poky one. He had paid his dues, done his time and wasn't going to take "no" for an answer. If he felt like stopping to take a nibble on some tasty nettles, who was going to stop him? I think he and Seth got along perfectly. They understood one another.
During the ride, I asked our guide if we would see any wildlife. He said "probably not" because in the summer, the larger game stay up higher where it is cooler. I was a bit disappointed by his answer because I really wanted to see some kind of animal, maybe bigger than a squirrel. You know what the Lord did? Nestled in a patch of trees was a big herd of Elk. HUGE males with big ol' racks and the females eating peacefully. Do you ever get the feeling that God just gets a kick out of blessing His children? I do.

Well, friends, I have had a long day and that hot tub is calling my name. Tomorrow is our 10 mile hike. Pray for us =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been praying that, on this trip you would not only have a wonderful time just being together and in the mountains, but that there would be numerous little extra blessings that would make it an even more special memory. So that is just perfect! I love when you know God is just throwing a little extra spice in to make it more flavorful! LOL!