Friday, January 27, 2006

Germs, germs, and more germs


So here we are, the Macchi Four, all sick again. Elijah started sniffing Monday night and "bam" we are all sniffly and coughing. I think this makes round 2 or 3 in just this fall/winter season. I think it has something to do with the Missouri air. I definitely think the 65+, or the cotton-tops as my father has affectionately nicknamed them, have the right idea of staying down in Florida for the winter months. It's not so much the weather, it's all the germs that get passed around this time of year!
And to air a bit out of my personal life, I am going through a series of tests to find out what in the world is going on with my stomach. If I eat certain foods, although I'm not quite sure which foods these are, after 3 hours I begin to feel a very intense pain in my stomach. After a bit of detective work with the help of my nurse mother, it might look like I have an ulcer. I have never viewed myself as a high-strung person so the thought of having an ulcer almost makes me laugh. I can think of so many more candidates for one!
Do you ever read verses from the Bible, ones that you could probably quote from those formative years in Sunday School, and they take on a whole new meaning after life experience? Well, that's what happened to me this morning. God gave me Romans 5:1-5. I'll only quote this

vs. 3-5 "Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. And hope does not disappoint us, because God has poured out his love into our hearts by the Holy Spirit, whom he has given us."

And He HAS been doing this in our lives, through the little sufferings of us not being well. Last night, at 1:30am when my stomach pain wouldn't let me sleep on top of Josiah not being able to sleep because of his stuffy nose, I was suddenly filled with peace and a hope that could not be explained. So let me tell you, folks, that I'm holding onto the promise that I will not walk around disappointed because I have hope that could have only come from the suffering that we have endured!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope is a beautiful thing

Anonymous said...

LOL! ;op

I so relate to this, as we are currently all coming down with the "sniffles" and coughs and sore throats. It is like the 4rth time 'round for us!

Thanks for keeping things in such a fresh (albeit ages old) perspective for me!

Sarah sure does smile! and she makes me smile, too!

Anonymous said...

btw, i'm sorry you are all sick! I wasn't laughing b/c you are sick!
I will pray for you all, and especially regarding your stomach pain. When I was pregnant with Arrow, every time I had any dairy products I would double over in pain a little while after for a few hours. It was miserable. I was extremely lactose intolerant through my whole pregnacny plus 6 mo. after. I'm sorry you are going through such pain. I hope it is nothing serious!

much love for ya!
~stormy

Anonymous said...

Hey Sarah...
I guess you weren't too fond of myspace? I sent you a crazy long message (did you get that?)and went to check it the next day and you were gone. Oh well... my email address is Fernderhender@aol.com... lets not lose touch ok?
=)
Jen Fortson