Saturday, June 10, 2006

Good Times

Tonight marked a momentous occasion. Seth and I spent some much-needed time together, just the two of us (thank you, thank you Grammy and Papa!). We decided to venture out of our box and went to The Sushi House for dinner. I have always been a fan of sushi but I have never been to an actual sushi restaurant. Here is a play-by-play:

We walk in and are taken aback by how small the place is. Seth and I have a comfort zone in our dining experience and that's a booth in the darkest part of the restaurant. Here, there are no booths. Just very small tables placed really close together. The hostess sits us down in the VERY middle of the restaurant.
We open the menus like we know what we are doing. The server comes to us with a tray and 2 wet wash cloths. Due to my hesitation, he says "Wash your hands." "Oh, okay", I say. He takes our drink orders. We continue to peruse the menu as if we know exactly what we want. We have no clue what we want.
Server comes again and asks us if we are ready. I say "We need help". "Oh, okay", he says. Server is very nice and recommends a combination platter. We ask him about the noodles and he recommends a beef noodle soup. Server then asks if we would like our combination platter on a boat. I say "Yes, that would be great". While walking in, I notice sushi arranged very nicely on raised wooden plates. I think that must be the boat. I say "Yes" and think nothing more of it.
Server brings out yummy Miso soup.
My seat has a great view of the sushi chefs behind their counter. I can't really see what they are making, just their heads over the counter. I notice one chef taking down from the top shelf an actual carved BOAT. An enormous, beautifully carved sailBOAT. The chef begins placing the sushi on this carved phenomenon. All of a sudden, it hits me. That is MY BOAT! In horror, my mind quickly pictures this huge boat on a very small table and the apologies we would be making to our neighbors, "Excuse me, your soy sauce is in the way of my poop deck". So, thankfully, Seth motions to Server and asks if we can have our sushi on a plate instead of the boat. He understands completely and quickly speaks with the sushi chef. From the look on the chef's face, he is none too happy about it.
Our sushi arrives, an artistic masterpiece, on a plain black plate. We sigh in relief and eat every last bite of salmon, tuna, and redtail sushi.
I have to say, I don't think I have laughed this hard in a very long time! I'm sure Server had a good story to tell as soon as we walked out of that door.

Here's to new experiences....

No comments: