Tuesday, September 04, 2007

First Day of School


It was not quite how I have envisioned it for the last five years. There were no tears, no moments of "my baaaby", no shuffling off to kindergarten bright and shiny with new school clothes and a brand new backpack. Instead, Elijah and I sat down at the table with a pile of workbooks and a pencil. We began kindergarten in our kitchen at 9am.
If I have not made it obvious enough, I am homeschooling Eli this year. For five years I took a pretty opinionated stance on this subject. I believed that it just would not happen. I could never have the patience for it. Elijah loves being around other kids. As he grew older, I became more and more convinced that traditional school was definitely the path we were going to take. And it all changed this summer.
We tried every door available to us. We took a tour of the brand new public elementary school 2 minutes from our house. As we walked through the school, the discernment that we had prayed for gave us a pretty solid "no". We checked into private schools in our area. We decided that $4900 was a bit too much for, um, kindergarten!
So we prayed and prayed and prayed. The Lord finally put me in a place where I said that if He wanted me to homeschool, I would do it. Truthfully, I didn't really mean it. But then no other doors opened up. So I said it again and this time, I kind of meant it. Which surprised me. Time was running out. August 16th (first day of school in our district) was quickly approaching and we had no game plan. My one last hang-up was Eli and how he felt about going to school. So I asked him what he thought about homeschooling. Within five minutes of not much convincing on my part, he told me he "decided" he wanted to homeschool. Not to uber-spiritualize it all, but when he said this, I totally felt a peace. I knew that this year, we were going to do this thing. And it was cool.
Yesterday we began. And it was fun. The best part was the reminder of what an amazing kid Elijah is. Despite the stubborn-ness (I can't EVEN imagine where he got that from!) that rears its head on a pretty regular basis, there are so many layers the Lord designed in my son. What a privilege to be able to spend concentrated time this year, gently opening these layers up, revealing the beauty of Elijah's personality and giftings.
Yes, it's going to be a good year.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh!!! I LOVE THAT BOY!!!!

Rob Duford said...

I think the amazing thing about this is the willingness to trust God's voice. It's hard when it's your kid involved. We had similar situation when we took Haley out of private and put her in public. I swore I would NEVER do that, but that's the only place we found peace. Way to go guys!

Rob Duford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Seth and Sarah said...

It's true. He has a different plan for everyone. In fact, we were totally open to the public school thing. We moved to this area in KC because of the great school district and when I first saw the brand new school down the road, I was sold. But the Lord just had different plans for Elijah this year.
Same for you guys- way to go =)