Sunday, February 15, 2009

Spoil Me Rotten

Seth and I have never been big on the whole Valentines Day thing. We have no traditions or expectations over each other when it comes to this particular holiday. Mostly because we are still trying to recover from the Christmas "drain". Basically we can't afford Valentines Day. So in lieu of this information, I will now refer to yesterday as "Let's just have a nice day together" Day.



It all started with Seth letting me sleep in until *gasp* 11am. I wonder if heaven will include sleeping. Because I can't think of anything more enjoyable than deep morning sleep. I woke up to light tapping on my arm with the announcement that brunch was ready. Seth had re-created those yummy skillets that you can order at First Watch, complete with perfectly diced potatoes, scrambled eggs, topped with fresh chopped tomatoes and avocado. It was absolutely delicious!

One of Seth's nicknames growing up was "Chef". If you say it out loud with a slight Southern accent, it will make more sense. I'm not sure his parents knew that one day he would actually live up to this name....
Last night, we had an in-house date. (One of those things that parents of 3 are forced to do if they want to spend any time together at all. Out of house dates are really difficult to come by.) Seth pulled together an amazing Greek menu. I was impressed that he even tried something so difficult. Allow me to describe his gourmet creations:
We began with Melitzanes Tiganites or Batter-Fried Eggplant. They were warm, crunchy and had amazing flavor. For our entree, he made us Greek salads (minus the anchovies) with homemade dressing. The dressing was fabulous! He made it with oil and vinegar, carrots, celery, garlic, radishes, capers, and some spices. When put through the blender, it made for a wonderful, tasty dressing. He had also grilled us a couple of marinated Kansas City strips. They were very good but both of us were so full by the time we finished our salads that we could only eat a few bites of our steaks. And to finish? He baked a Greek lemon cake with a lemon glaze icing from scratch! It was a beautiful bundt cake that tasted unbelievably delicious! So moist and not too sweet. I am definitely keeping this recipe and the others to make in the future.


Honestly, we needed yesterday. I needed yesterday. Our happy "Let's have a nice day together" Day. I am so grateful for this man who is my best friend. This man who has known me inside and out for almost 12 years now. This man who is making gigantic faith leaps into unknown territories, trusting the Lord with his very life.


I am blessed.

2 comments:

Priscilla said...

Go Seth! That sounds like the perfect day!

Holly said...

Ummmmm. . .YUMMMMM for sure! I love Greek food and I love at home dates. Our Valentine tradition for years has been take-out on a blanket in the living room with a candle or two lit. . .somehow it didn't happen this year. . .with THIS belly I got goin' on I was NOT feeling sittin' on the floor. We settled for order in pizza with Bryson.