Saturday, January 21, 2006

Can someone please tell me where the time has gone?

I started looking through some old photographs and found this little black and white one. When was Eli's hair so cute and curly? Those were the days
when a good ice cream cone was the highlight of his young life. Now he sits and and contemplates his young life. I'll watch him sometimes when he doesn't think that I am and I can literally see the wheels turning and the next question forming. There are days when I actually welcome the questions because I know I need to treasure this time. Now granted, these days are few and far between. There are some days when the questions come flying at me like those black bullets of goo on the Incredibles that finally catch the good guy. I don't know which way to look. The more I try to run, the more they shoot at me until I am lying on the floor paralyzed and moaning. There is no escape...
I do have to say, I admire the young and inquiring mind. If he just sat there and accepted everything that came to him, I would be concerned for his future. He will never be one to step into things blindly and for that I'm thankful. But again, I just want to know where the time has gone. I feel like if I blink too long, my little curly-headed ice cream-faced boy will be kissing me goodbye and telling me that he will email me often from his dorm room.

No comments: