Monday, October 08, 2007

What is Your Name?

After a year of being married and living in Tennessee, Seth and I felt that it was time to move back home to Orlando. In 1998, the Lord began to do much in the both of us. Freeing us from the guilt and cynicism that still runs rampant in a whole generation of "church kids". Not long after our move, Seth and I began to get involved in the church. Which was a pretty huge step for us. I began to attend a woman's group called Titus which was started by Seth's mom. I had never really experienced anything like it. The discussions, the praying for each other...it was all new to me. One particular night, I had asked for prayer for some direction in our lives. The women prayed very sweet prayers. I actually remember many of them. Towards the end, the leader asked one of the ladies there if she had heard anything from the Lord to say to me. I had never met her before. She said she only had two words for me..."Precious Jewel". Something about these 2 words just shot deep into my heart. I had never really felt precious before and I certainly did not think myself a jewel yet I knew it was the truth. I tucked this phrase away and pondered many times over it. A few months later, I happened to go through some of my old treasures. I have a large, black trunk filled with things from my childhood, precious things I would never trade for the world. That day I opened an old photo album given to me after my grandmother passed away. They were all baby pictures of me. The very first photograph made me almost physically jump. It was a picture of me, on the day I was born. Written on the bottom was the phrase, "Precious Jewel". Out of all the things my grandmother could have called me, these were the words she chose. Or was it she who chose them?

Only a very loving grandmother or an even more loving Heavenly Father could call this newborn face "precious"! =)I looked like I just stepped out of a boxing ring! Onto Part 2...

Over the past couple of years I have had an idea. An idea I have discussed with Seth extensively. I even ran it past my mother at some point. I have thought much about it and prayed about it. I wanted a tattoo, a permanent reminder that tells me this truth every day of my life. It was so special how the Lord gave me this message. I am still far from totally believing this truth about myself but I trust Him to teach me. It is a message not only for me, but for every person out there who struggles with his/her identity. We are precious to Him, each uniquely designed. So Saturday I finally did it. I will have this reminder all the days of my life and for that, I am grateful.

No comments: