Monday, August 11, 2008

If Only...


...I had a perfect memory. One that could remember the 5oo cute moments that are played out by my sons every day. Impromptu conversations between each other brought on by imagination and curiosity. If only I could capture even the mundane like taking them to go potty in the middle of the night. Both personalities blaring even in their sleepy haze. Elijah waking up either totally happy or totally grumpy. Making vain attempts to include you in his dreams, babbling something that only makes sense to him. Sometimes holding an imaginary object in his hand that gets set down on the counter before he uses the potty. So meticulous and thoughtful, even in his sleep. Josiah, who is quite new to this midnight appointment, refusing to open his eyes. Even while he is sitting on the toilet. He can be quite the determined boy. But then the cuddling, oh, the midnight cuddling with this one! Nothing, absolutely nothing, can top his warm, soft body melting into my shoulder as I walk him from bed to potty to bed again.
Things are about to change. Family birth order will shift, causing both joy and pain. I've had moments to reflect recently of what family means. All I know is that I need to enjoy these years as much as I am able to. Because it all changes in one blink of an eye...

No comments: