Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Hoppin' down the bunny trail


So today I participated in Eli's class Easter party. There is nothing that makes me feel more like a "Mom" than standing there awkwardly with the other moms commenting on our own children and their behavior. But I do have to admit, it was fun. The kids were so cute, standing outside with their crayon-decorated paper bags, ready to hunt for Easter eggs.
I had a memory moment this afternoon. You know those moments where you want to stamp it forever in your mind and heart because you know that life will not be the same tomorrow or next year or the next? As I walked into the classroom, Eli saw me and immediately ran to give me a big hug. As he sat down with the rest of the class, I saw him turn to his little friend and heard him say "That's my mom". He said it with such innocence and even a little bit of pride. I just have this feeling that in 10 years or so, it's not going to be like that. I am going to walk in his classroom and see him shift uncomfortably in his chair, giving me a sidelong glance that will scream "Mooooom, you're so embarrassing!" And I will know that this is the normal way of things. So I'm just going to have to remember this day and remember his sweet little voice.
Hopefully this blog will be around in 10 years or so because with the way things are going these days, I'm going to need all the help I can get in the "memory department"....=)

No comments: