Sunday, April 23, 2006

My Baby Loves Me


Lately, I have come across some old friends that have recently been married or are engaged to be married very soon. I guess we are at the "acceptable" age when people get married. Ones who have completed college and have made the choice to either continue schooling or pursue a career.
We are also at that age where we are hearing a little bit of divorce. Couples who got married shortly after we did and decided that it just would not work anymore.
The other night, Seth and I had a wonderful date night. For all of those without children, please know that date nights are few and far between so when we have one, it is definitely worth noting. I sat there looking at this man who I began dating before we even graduated high school. I have been building a relationship with this one person on a highly personal level for eleven years now! In August, it will be our 9 year wedding anniversary.
I say all this because there have been times where we didn't know if we were going to make it, before marriage and after. I believe it is a true act of God for anyone to be married for over a year. There is so much giving that has to be done in order for it to work and I am by no means, by nature, a very giving person.
To go back to our date the other night, I sat there across the table from Seth and wondered "How in the world can I still be attracted to this man? In fact, even more attracted than when we first began dating." I think I have come up with a one word answer for this one- GOD. Because He is the One who wants us to succeed. Not that He wants anyone to not succeed in marriage, but I think it's because we have allowed Him to give us the strength to keep going. I look at my parents who have been married for 28 years and I look at Seth's parents who have been married for over 35 years and I am so encouraged. It really can be done. The junk that comes against you in life doesn't diminish as life goes on. I just know I wouldn't want to walk through it with anyone else.

So is it true that you begin to look like each other after so many years? If that's the case, then I have a little something to fear...let's not even mention the body hair!

No comments: