Wednesday, May 03, 2006

From the (un)complicated mind of a 4 year old



When my parents were visiting us a couple of weeks ago, my mom mentioned that Eli had matured quite a bit even since Christmas. His thoughts are more articulate and his speech is softer than before. I have to agree. The more time I spend with the little guy, the more I realize that he really is a boy now. With an imagination that far surpasses my own (and I always thought I could give anyone a run for their money in that department).
Elijah's personality runs in cycles. Let me explain. On any given day he can wake up and be one of the most compliant, sweet-tempered boys ever. Before we are finished patting ourselves on the back for being the parents that have trained such a mild, non-challenging 4 year old, the cycle flips. Now we have days where we go to bed completely exhausted because everything that comes out of our mouth is challenged. It has been described like this- Eli jumps on a train where he just can't stop himself. You can see he wants to jump off the train but forces beyond his control compel him to ride on it for one more run. Before we think we might have to check ourselves in a mental institute, the cycle flips yet again. Thankfully, this has happened enough now where, if we can stop and remember, we always know it's going to change.
Lately, Eli has taken a ride on the "train". It has been quite challenging, let me tell you! Yesterday, the wheels on the train began slowing down. It all started by him asking me "Mom, do you still love me?" I felt two reactions- 1. "Why in the world does he feel the need to ask me this??" and 2. "What an awesome opportunity to scoop him up in my arms and love on him!" So I did #2 while feeling #1.
Now since Eli has been old enough to walk, the Lord has used him in my life to speak little things to me. This being no exception. How many times have I messed up, either out of immaturity or disobedience? How many times have I been pulled out of a ditch by that one question "Father, do you still love me?" Each time, He says "Absolutely, no question" even more than I can say to my own son.
As the infamous Elijah would say because this is now his favorite term "That's awesome!"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, what a wonderful blog! has anyone ever told you you should write pieces like this for parenting magazines? i'm sure you could write on other topics for other types of journalism as well!
you are wonderful with storytelling!